Last Fall, Burberry released a BEAUTIFUL collection of shearling aviator jackets, and it literally skyrocketed the shearling trend into the consumer market instantly.
If you recall shearling jackets from the 90's were long, big, bulky, no shape...and most of all, no particular style. Burberry successfully make it into a trendy statement piece that was at once avant-garde yet familiar. Shearling will always be one of those materials that we will go towards when we seek comfort, especially in these cold Fall and Winter months to come.
This fall, look around any store, and you'll find at LEAST 1 item that has shearling on it. Whether it's a clutch (which I'll show you all within the week), accessory or jacket...it's EVERYWHERE.
I saw a few at Zara that I loved, looked almost identical (albeit more commercialized) to the Burberry one - but when I tried them on, they were bulky - didn't flatter my figure and were uncomfortable.
Plus, I don't like to wear things that are so obviously ripped off of another brand.
So, I decided to make my own shearling inspired piece. I wanted something that I could wear from Fall into the winter, that I could layer and not feel bulky. I was initially inspired by Love Maegan's DIY fur vest (and I also have fur at home to eventually make that particular vest) and ended up with this:
Initially I was a little annoyed, because I've never worked with this kind of material, and didn't know how to finish the edges (had I left them unfinished, the faux shearling with constantly shed)...Eventually I decided to not take the easy way out, and do a turn and turn on all around the edges of the seam allowance and then stitch it with the seams out.
Here's how I ended up styling it:
TOP:: Cassis silk button down blouse, Talbots mix knit sweater, DIY Shearling Vest
BOTTOM:: Sixty Nine Jeans denims (Robin BLK)
SHOES:: Aldo boots (VERY OLD)
BAG:: Rudsak Bowling bg
Have a happy Thursday, only 1 more day to go!
Yaya

No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you.