19.10.11

Steve Jobs: Inspire me.

So, I'm a little late on the bandwagon for this...but when I learned about the death of Steve Jobs, I wasn't particularly sad about it. Yes, the world lost a great intelligent inventor, who was in my humble opinion, the backbone and soul of Apple.

I've dreamt of owning my own Macbook one day. I've gone back and forth on whether its worth it or not. I've admired the Ipad from afar, and own an Iphone that is quite honestly, very addictive to keep in the palm of your hands to check new updates, emails, contact friends and so on and so forth.

But I wasn't particularly ...sad. I was kind of surprised that Steve Jobs made such a commotion with the news of his death, when an evenly (if not more) important figure died a few days before Jobs. Recent Nobel Prize winner for discovering cells that are believed to be key to the immune system (pretty important stuff), Ralph Steinman who by the way, also died of pancreatic cancer.

Anyways, back to the main topic...I finally got around to reading all those Steve Jobs quotes released and compiled minutes after the tragic news.


“Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” - Steve Jobs



This one touched me particularly. In fact, it truly inspired me.

I'm generally a very cautious person. I like stability. I like to know that I have back-up mulahs in my bank account, that I have a bed to sleep in and that I have food for the remaining week in my fridge. I like change, and I adapt well to it, but I don't like to change often. I like simplicity and I don't like to try out extreme trends. I like my staples and my basics.

That being said, I've always had this gut feeling that I can do more - but never tried to push farther than what I've accomplished so far. I have many dreams - but my brain always goes back to the "what ifs".

What if I don't find another job? What if I'm no good at it? What if ...what if...WHAT IF!

After reading that particularly inspiring quote, amongst many, I went "wow". So true. So logical, and so OBVIOUS. It's something we ALL KNOW, yet don't use it as a valid reason to push farther than what we can already accomplish.

Knowing myself, I know that this "inspiration feeling" will fade away in time (probably by the end of this week, when I wake up at noon on a Saturday and go to my regular breakfast restaurant and go on doing what I always do on the weekend - relax), but hopefully I can read back on this quote every now and then to remind myself that there should be no fear.

Inspire yourselves,
Yaya
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.