29.6.11

Vienna - where there is no viennoiserie - Part 1

One of the things I was really excited about when we decided to go to Vienna, was to have an ACTUAL viennoiserie (which seems to be a synonym for pastries in other parts of Europe). Obviously, there is no such thing as viennoiserie in Vienna...like how Chinese food is just food in China.

Bummer.

Nonetheless, Vienna was beyond breathtaking. I think I'm in love.
It was such a large city and a breath of fresh air in comparison to Prague.

Prague was busy condensed for a city, whereas Vienna was much more dispersed - and people were friendlier.

What really surprised me in fact, was how CLEAN it was. Not only that, people kind of kept to themselves, to noisy groups of people disturbing everyone around them, type of thing.

I truly felt like I had jumped into some kind of fairy tale story and Vienna was the backdrop location.

We stayed in Vienna for a total of 2 days, which was great because my back was killing me from carrying my 15lbs packsack with me all around Prague the day before - we left our bags at the hostel.
Market early morning - 6am
This little market was just so cute. It's right off the train station where we got off, so it was the perfect little area to have coffee in the morning...and basically kill time before anything opens.




First stop was the Royal Palace - SO BEAUTIFUL. For those who've visited Versailles before, this is very reminescent of it. Not the style, but the layout of the whole area. Unfortunately, we were not permitted to take pictures within the palace, so I had to content myself with taking a gazillion pics outside.


Opposite to the palace in the garden - they even have a zoo WITHIN the gardens.

 

A mirror-maze type thing within the many labyrinthes of the palace garden.




The back of the Sisi Museum (Hungarian Empress Elizabeth). We had rented bikes that day so save some energy while we tried to find our hostel.



The Kunsthistorisches Museum within the Museums Quartier where you can also find the Leopold Museum which houses the more contemporary pieces in Vienna. This Museum was AMAZING - to say the least. It was worth visiting solely for the architecture of the building itself. The inside was just to-die-for.

Part 2 will be coming soon - in fact I think I'll have to break it down into to two more parts, I just have way too many pictures I want to share with you all!

Enjoy~

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I really want to go to Vienna one day, your photos are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I wish I could be traversing the world in style. So jealous!


    tacosandfreecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.