9.11.12

Need of inspiration :: Less is more



For the past few months, I have been having SO much trouble dressing myself in the morning (thus the lack of OOTDs). I'm absolutely turned off by the amount of clothes hanging in my closet, not being worn and not being loved.

I have come to the realization (I really did realize this a long time ago, but didn't want to admit it) that I have too much junk.

As many of you may (or may not) know, every season, I clean out my closet of things I  believe I won't be using anymore. I say this because often enough, I keep things that think I will use again one day. Many times, I keep them because I'm convinced that they have some kind of sentimental value or they were such a great bargain that it'd be a shame to give it away before wearing it at least once!

So, ok...I get this feeling that I have too much stuff, but nothing to wear. Therefore, I decide to go shopping to refurbish, if you will, my closet. Only to realize in a few months, if not weeks, again that I have nothing to wear - and the cycle goes 'round and 'round. Sounds familiar no?

How many times have I ABSOLUTELY wanted to become a minimalist and not be able to do so? I really wish I could. I wish I could put away this consumerism habit of mine (speaking of which, I JUST discovered Jcrew now have a factory website!!! ...see what I mean?).

How many times I've added 5+ items in a shopping cart online...only to see the sum (uh, $100+) and decide that I'll sit on it for a while. 99.9% of the time, I forget what I've put in the basket, and I never look back.

Once in a blue moon though, I find a piece that I REALLY, TRULY,.....most sincerely love...and by this I mean that I obsess over it for at least a week or two, non-stop (like the winter coat I'm going to pick up tomorrow!).

THAT's when I know I've found a piece of garment that will make a TRUE difference in my wardrobe. That will make me feel amazing every time I slip it on and can't wait to put it on away every time I take it off.

I truly wish that this mini-enlightenment will keep me on the right track.
I really want to be able to throw out (ahem, donate) all the stuff I haven't worn in months, if not years now, without feeling any regret or remorse. Maybe one day I'll be able to actually accept the fact that a lot, or most, purchases were mistakes in the past, and that I have actually learned from them. Until then, if some of you have your shopping/closet nightmare stories to share with me, please feel free to leave a comment below. Or if you have some great tips or adventures of your own that relate to this, please let me know. I would love to hear all about it...and perhaps learn a little from them as well.

Have a great weekend.
Smile and be happy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.