I've been using the Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0 refining cream for a good 3 months now. I wanted to use the product thoroughly before giving a review on it.
For those who don't know what retinol is, wikipedia will do a much better job than myself to explain it to you all so click here for more info. =)
However, in a nutshell, retinol is an acid form of the vitamin A, known as Tretinoin under clinical usage. You can usually get Tretinoin prescribed to you by a dermatologist. It is known to help with cell turnover, wrinkle reduction and acne treatment.
I've had acne since my early teens, and it hasn't really stopped since then. I've tried multiple different products but none have ever truly worked for me. When I went to do my monthly microdermabrasion sessions (I've stopped since January), my technician gave me a sample of Tretinoin to test out.
It worked great. So when I asked for a full prescription of Tretinoin, another technician on staff recommended me to try out Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0 instead. Having nothing to lose, I gave it a try...and haven't gone back.
The price is a little steep starting at 60$ a bottle, but the results are well worth it. I'm sure you can probably find a good substitute for this product at a lower price. If I do find any, I'll make sure to give you all a shout-out.
Here's what I think of the product itself:
Pros:
- Helps clear acne effectively
- Smooths skin
- Reduces size of pores (for real, it doesn't just cover it, my pores are significantly smaller than it was 3 months ago on a clean face)
- A little goes a long way
Cons:
- Dries out skin, which can cause flakiness
- May irritate delicate/sensitive skin and cause redness
- Should not be used on a daily basis due to the above mentioned symptoms
- If overused can cause scabs, after all it is an acid.
Packaging:
- I love the pump dispenser. 1 pump gives you the exact amount you need to cover your face properly - slightly smaller than a pea size amount, plus it keeps it hygienic.
- I really don't like the fact that I cannot see the inside of the bottle - it gives me no indication of how much is left and how much I'm using up.
The product itself comes with two strength options, 1.0 and 0.5 at more or less the same price. So if you believe that the 1.0 may be too strong for your skin, perhaps you can give the 0.5 a try.
I don't like giving out recommendations because everyone's skin type is very different and the effects I get from the product may differ a lot from the next person. However, I highly recommend asking your dermatologist about retinol and what it can do to help improve your skin.
Overall, I've personally had a great experience with the product - it took a little time of trial and error to get the right dosage (I now apply it only every other day and even skip on days when my skin is behaving) and it has definitely helped me clear up my skin, especially the cystic acne that I used to regularly get. My scars have also faded dramatically and new scars seem to fade faster too. I do intend on trying to find a cheaper solution - even though the bottle should last for 6 months, I still find 60$ for a small bottle of 30ml quite pricey.
I have wanted to try out other Skinceutical products but at their price, it's hard to just "try" it out. Do any of you use Skinceuticals already and would recommend anything in particular? =)
For a full list of the products I use on a daily basis for my skin care, visit this post.
I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday! =)

No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you.