This is a slightly unusual post, considering that I don't normally post recipes on this blog...However, I feel like these are worth mentioning in depth.
As some of you may have noticed in my previous food posts (the few that exist), I'm quite conscious of what I eat and I make sure that I eat a very balanced diet while indulging myself every now and then.
So far, my biggest issue has been breakfast.
First off, I cannot function in the morning if I do no have SOMETHING in my stomach. Therefore, I must have breakfast. However, I like to get that extra 15mins of snoozing time in my bed, so I often don't have time to eat a substantial meal before I head out.
In the past months, when I have toast at home, I'll do a quick peanut butter toast, wrap it it some kind of tissue paper, and head out....that is after I drink my 2 glasses of warm water + soy milk.
I'm not a big fan of eating toast in the morning for a few reasons. They're not particularly nutritious - unless you're eating some kind of super, extra "proteined" loaf of bread filled with nuts and dried fruits and such...which would most likely cost an arm and a leg for every slice that you eat. I feel like their sole purpose is to fill your tummy up a for a while until the next ACTUAL meal. They're basically unless extra carbs and calories in my book.
Pls keep in mind that I am in no way a nutritionist or any kind of professional - the above is complete speculation on my part.
So for the longest time, I've wanted to make some kind of ....breakfast cookie/bar that I could LITERALLY grab and go.
Here were my few criterias:
- No butter
- No added sugar
- Fiber rich
- Tastes good
- Easy to grab and go, no preparations whatsoever
I had made these really good oatmeal cookies for a while now, and decided...what the heck, might as well try making these into some kind of breakfast cookie that I won't kick myself over later in the day.
Ingredients:
- 1 cup of mashed bananas (to substitutes the butter/margarine/shortening)
- 3/4 cup honey (preferably organic)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cranberries (you can obviously use other kinds of dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup of nuts of your preference (almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans...anything you wish) (optional)
Mix the wet ingredients together first. Once they're mixed homogeneously, mix in the dry ingredients.
Use a tsbp to scoop the dough and place onto your baking pan and a fork to press it down a little, otherwise you'll end up with balls of oats.
Preheat your over to 375 Fahrenheit degree.
Bake for 11mins
Depending on how much nuts + chocolate chips you added, this recipe will give you approximately 40 cookies.
Unlike regular crispy oatmeal cookies, these came out quite substantial. They have the texture of bread almost. I made them quite small this time ...but I think I'll try to make them larger next time to make proper single portions per cookie...
If any of you have suggestions as to how I can improve this recipe to be even healthier, please do! I would love to be able to eliminate flour altogether if that's possible - in the meantime I split it whole wheat/all purpose.
Or if any of you have an even better recipe for on the go breakfast ideas, please leave me a comment below, I would love to try out new things!




No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you.