Now, I've heard great things about this product, especially about the delicate rose petal scent. I had to give it a shot to see what all the hype was about. There was no way in my mind to rationalize paying $30+ for a lip balm, even if it is Christian Dior.
However, I wasn't feeling too upbeat, so I figured this would maybe perk me up a bit, or at the very least, distract me momentarily. On my way out of Sephora, I got sucked into buying the Smith's Rosebud Salve, which I've also heard great things about, at only $7.50 CAD.
Perfect, I can compare the two and see if Dior's luxury lip balm is really all that worth it.
Before I dive into actually comparing the two products, I have to start by saying that the Creme de Rose's "plumping" adjective is very misleading. The product doesn't literally plump your lips. The cream does have a very lovely sheen to your lips, that make them "look" plumper, but it doesn't literally enlarge your lips.
The most important thing to me about a lip balm is how moisturizing it is, and I must say in all honesty, that although the Dior does provide sufficient moisture, I can get the same from a drugstore brand. On the plus side, it has SPF.
This really this the epitome of luxury lip care, the scent is absolutely intoxicating if you love the smell of roses. I kind of wished all my body care products smelled like this. For that alone, I'd be willing to pay a little bit more...but maybe not 30$ again.
The scent of the Rosebud salve does smell good, but it really doesn't compare to Dior's. Smith's Salve smells a lot more artificial whereas the Dior version smells just like a fresh bouquet of roses. As for moisture? Well, it's main component is petroleum jelly, so if you've ever used vaseline as lip balm, you'll understand.
Although I LOVE the Dior Creme de Rose, I doubt I will ever repurchase it simply because of the price tag. I can get the same (if not better) lip care for less than a quarter of the price.
As for the Rosebud Salve, if you wanted to buy this as a dupe for the Creme de Rose, be ready to know that the texture of it is completely different from Dior. The Salve feels exactly like vaseline whereas the Creme de rose really is much more of a cream. Not to mention, I kind of feel like this product could be easily DIY.
Cheers,
Yaya
P.S. These were purchased before my "Budget Pact" with myself. Expect an update soon :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you.