A few weeks ago, I discovered a new Montreal brand called Matière Noire, loosely translated in english to Dark Matter. This young brand was founded in 2012 under the leadership of designer, Cécile Raizonville.
After thoroughly viewing their website, I fell in love with the simplicity yet avant-gardiste style of Cécile's visions. I absolutely had to contact them and see if I could set an interview with this local talent.
Cécile was kind enough to answer a few questions for me via e-mail. Here they are!
![]() |
| Cécile Raizonville |
Where are you originally from and what made you settle in Montreal?
Could you tell me a little bit about your educational background and how you came to love Fashion and work in the business?
I started with a 3 years university program in Fine Arts then specialized in Fashion Design.
I think as a child, I have always been fascinated by fashion. Recently, I remembered that I drew carnaval costumes for my sister and myself when I was 8 and my mother sew it. I think the whole process of seeing your idea brought to reality fascinated me .
What were one of your first jobs in the business, and what have those experiences taught you?
I got several experiences, each one very different. My first one was as a quality assistant at Mango, then I assisted the designer at haute couture house Josep Font. I also did prints for french house Maxime Simoens in Paris. My experience at Bodkin studio ( based in New York ) taught me a lot and showed me the productive process of a small business company. All these experiences have allowed me to be able to build my own project.
How did you decide to start your own brand? What are its values and mission?
I decided to build my own brand because I wanted to develop my own creative project and I wanted to dedicate most of my energy to it. It was also a way to integrate and collaborate with friends and Montreal artists. The mission of Matière Noire is to defend Montreal's creativity and express the taste of a younger generation.
What elements are core to Matière Noire's branding and clothing?
I would say that Matière Noire is about a sustainable look (clothes that can last several seasons) , made of wearable pieces with "avant-guarde" elements. Punk , military and traditionnal clothings are recurent references that I try to reinterpret. I am also very inspired by craftmanship and subtil details.
Describe a typical work day at Matière Noire and what is involved in the production process of creating a collection.
Honestly it has changed a lot since one year (that is also why i love the project).
Before a collection I work intensely with sample makers. These last month have been dedicated to create a new site and online boutique which is going to be launched soon. The process of creating a collection involves going to each fabric stores and select my fabrics but also looking for images that impact me (I then re-post them on our tumblr http://matierenoirestudio.tumblr.com ). When I finish designing, I meet with collaborators that are going to help me in the most artisannal pieces like knit wears.
![]() |
| Featured in Dress to Kill Magazine - March 2013 |
Matiere Noire's collections are very avant-garde, where do you find most of your inspiration?
My first collection was inspired by German photographer Wolfgang Tillmans but also by the materials of new buildings of Barcelona.
I try to mix several cultural references and my goal is to put the right balance of it in my collections.
On your website, Matiere Noire is described to be produced in a "socially responsible workshop". Could you explain a little bit more in depth how Matiere Noire is a socially responsible brand?
Our production is currently based in Montréal and we plans to maintain it local. We have tried to use mainly eco-fabrics in our past collection and even if tracability is not always guaranted , we try to control that and be as eco-friendly as we can. In the future we want to produce the majority of our collections with sustainable fabrics (organics or end of roll or recycled fabrics ).
![]() |
| From FTV Indochina - March 2013 |
Having only established in 2012, Matiere Noire is still a very young brand. What should be expect in the future from it?
We want to use more internet as a platform to present our brand universe. Our online boutique should expand and propose a wider selection of our runways pieces and we will be showing our Spring 14 collection to next Toronto Fashion week in October.
Last but not least, tell us something surprising about yourself.
I thought a lot about your question , I wish to have something original to say but most surprising thing about me was choosing an artistic path (both my parents are scientists) without having any background in it.
I hope you enjoyed this interview with the lovely Cécile as much as I did! It was extremely kind of her to let us have a little glimpse of what she does! Please visit her website or Facebook page to show your support.
Have a lovely week!




No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you.