Last stop - Budapest
I've always imagined Budapest to be some kind of magical place. It's reknowed to be beautiful, romantic, blah blah blah...and is often associated to Prague.
In all honesty, I must say that I find Prague to be much more beautiful than Budapest itself.
However, the people in Budapest were just BEYOND friendly.
| Shoes on the Danube Promenade (honors the Jews who fell victim to fascist Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest during World War II - wikipedia) |
My sister and I arrived in Budapest at night, and had the toughest time finding the apartment we had rented for our 3-day stay. We bumped into many people who were just SO kind. One person literally BROUGHT us to our destination.
| What you see in the background is their Parliament - O.O right? |
Another instance is when we went to the post office to mail some of the wine we had purchased (theres a limit of 2 bottle per person flying back to Canada). There was a lady, who was so kind to translate for us at the office, and spent about half an hour going back and forth from different desks and offices to figure out how to send wine from Budapest!
| In the castle district |
We really took it slow in Budapest (considering the ridiculous amount of walking around and back packing in Prague and Vienna - we were exhausted) - went to their famous thermal baths, which were just SO relaxing.
Although they are famous for them, I have to say that they're not the most impressive ones that I've seen, but nice nonetheless.
On our before last day in Budapest, we met some traveling musicians by sheer luck. They were playing in a public area (kind of student-ish) and we kind of just chatted up with them at the end of their performance.
The next day, the violonist brought us to a local bar/cafe for real, local music. It was super nice.
I think I would really dislike Hungarian music on disc. However, the atmosphere at the cafe was so nice - people were dancing local dances, people were clapping...the ambiance was just superbe, which made the music REALLY good.
We spent an all-nighter with the musician, going to various local cafes/bars and hung out with some of his own musician friends.
By the time we were done, it was 4 in the morning...the sun was rising...
and the reason I call this to be the city that never sleeps is because people were walking around the streets as if it was 9am! Not one or two people...a BUNCH OF THEM.
oh, did I mention that this was a Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning?
I hope you enjoyed these little posts from my trip!
I had the same reaction to Budapest...I loved it but loved Prague more :) Great photos!
ReplyDeleteFantastic images! It looks like fun!
ReplyDeletexx
Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/
wow amazing, I loved your story and adventures, thanks for sharing with us :D
ReplyDelete