There is something about the world of fashion that is frightening. Fashion is very much of a mystery to the mass population of our world. Yet, it is something that is part of every single person's life. It's something that is so simple, that very little people seem to be able to understand it.
Is fashion such a vague concept that the majority of the human species cannot grasp it?
I think not.
I believe all those who mock our world, who think that we, "fashion addicts" are all criminals of one of the seven deadly sins, VANITY, are simple people who either were not educated about fashion, ignorant, or are just plain too stubborn to even begin trying to understand it.
Although I strongly believe in the saying "to each his own", I also believe that it only applies after thorough understanding.
I'll admit, this essay may come off sounding like I'm a know-it-all, as if I think I understand the entirety of fashion, and THAT, is so far beyond the truth. I do think that I have a fair understanding of the basic foundation which fashion builds on. (Obviously all this is written here is totally biased, and my own opinion) So, to enlighten a few of you, here's some fashion 101.
To me, fashion isn't about the latest trend, what the celebrities are wearing, the price tag of an item or even the name or brand behind that tag. It's about economy, your status, your social network, a personality, creativity and imagination and everything that revolves around us.
Fashion is a way for every one of us to express ourselves, it IS a form of art. Don't misunderstand me, the mass consumption aspect of it is not. But the creative, IS. Even though some claim to lack interest in fashion, you choose what you wear, do you not? You choose the colors you wear, right? You dress a certain way because you saw someone you admire dressed like that maybe? You did it, because all your friends did it too no? You dress bold, because you want to be seem, and you dress conventionally because you don't want to stand out....
All that, and much more IS fashion. It's as simple as that. It's a representation of your style. And your style is a mirror to a big chunk of your personality, you!
Love,
Yaya
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear from you.